The Independent Healthcare Providers Network (IHPN) is the representative body for independent sector healthcare providers. Our members deliver a very diverse range of services to NHS and private patients including acute care, primary care, community care, clinical home healthcare, diagnostics and dentistry.
The Network was established in 2005 as a body to represent independent sector providers of NHS clinical services, and was incorporated into the broader NHS Confederation in June 2007. In 2018 it was announced that the Network would expand its remit to cover all services delivered by our members including NHS and privately-funded care.
The independent sector has supported NHS patients since the NHS was created in 1948 and now delivers over half a million elective operations, 10% of MRI scans, along with general practice, pharmacy and NHS dentistry.
- Ensuring the delivery of first class, safe and efficient healthcare.
- Upholding the principles and values of the NHS Constitution where members deliver NHS-funded services.
- Working constructively and proactively with other healthcare providers, whether privately or publicly-funded, to deliver integrated care.
- Participating in and supporting health education and training as appropriate.
- Fully meeting the NHS’s standards for transparency and information about patient outcomes and to be full participants in the CQC inspection regime.
- Ensuring appropriate arrangements exist to listen and respond to patients’ concerns.
- Abiding by the NHS’s Duty of Candour and apply it across all patient groups
IHPN’s vison is to have an open and innovative healthcare system where commissioners of services are enabled to make decisions purely on the basis of the appropriate quality and value of care that will be offered.
As the representative body for independent sector healthcare providers, IHPN’s functions and services focus on six key areas:
IHPN members are drawn from a diverse range of healthcare sectors including acute, primary, community, clinical home healthcare, diagnostics and dentistry. IHPN includes both for-profit and not-for-profit organisations with members delivering both NHS and privately funded health and care services.